Ways to pray
From experience, we know that we need to take time to focus on God and specific prayers for a child. Therefore, we have chosen to set 15 minutes as a goal every day. In 15 minutes you can lift many aspects of a child’s life before God.
There are different ways to pray, such as worship, thanksgiving, praise, confession, intercession and blessing. The Lord’s Prayer, in which Jesus teaches His disciples to pray, is an example prayer in which you see these forms (Matthew 6: 5-13).
The bible as a manuel
We can use the Bible as a prayer book because there is much prayer to God in it, for example the book of Psalms. The scripture is filled with clear messages, wonderful hymns and biblical words we can use to pray for, like honesty, faithfulness and kindness. We read about protection from bad behavior such as violence and lies and about promises of healing and spiritual renewal. You do not need special skills to become Daniel or Deborah; the most important thing is that your relationship with God is personal and sincere. The Holy Spirit helps us pray when we cannot find words or do not know what to pray for (Romans 8:26).
Do you hesitate to become Daniel or Deborah because you do not know how to pray every day? Do not let that stop you. There are different areas of life for which you can pray, even if the young you are praying for does not always has a personal prayer point. You can pray for:
- Daily life: pray for God’s closeness and protection throughout the day.
- Physical health: pray for health and protection.
- Mental health: pray for hope, meaning and for healing and recovery if there are psychological problems.
- Good friends and family ties: pray for good contacts and nice meetings.
- Characteristics: pray that he or she may become like Jesus and develop qualities such as honesty, loyalty, sympathy, respect and courage.
- Leadership: pray for guidance of the Holy Spirit and for spiritual growth.
- Faith and perseverance: pray that God’s Word will speak in the life of the child or the younger.
- Pray a Bible text like a promise of God.
When you have a personal contact with the one you are praying for, you can ask for prayer topics or highlight the interrogation of your prayers. If you follow a teenager (with approval) on Facebook you often get ideas for prayer.
If the contact about prayer has become self-evident, than there is a spiritual relation between the two of you. You should deal with it carefully and confidentially.